Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Restore Databases in AS 2005 from CAB Files created in AS 2000

I have to restore some analysis services 2000 databases on AS 2005.

Is there some tool which can perform this?

Mathew,

To migrate AS2000 databases to AS2005, you can use the Migration Wizard (MigrationWizard.exe). For more info, please see: <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143409.aspx>.

Hope this helps,

Artur

|||

I have CAB files being created by another team. Previously i used to restore them on my SQL 2000 Analysis Services using msmdarch.

Now i am planning to upgrade to SQL server 2005. But the team which creates the CAB files will continue to be on SQL 2000 Analysis Services for at least 6 months.

Therefore migrationwizard will not be helpful in my case. (I don't have access to their SQL Server or Analysis Server databases)

|||

If your machine already has AS2000 installed, you could install AS2005 on the same machine as a named instance and then restore the CAB files onto your local AS2000 server and use the migration wizard to migrate these databases from your AS2000 instance to the AS2005 instance on the same machine.

--Artur

|||

Hello,

I understand that the solution of Artur will work, if you have access to the relational database from which the cube is calculated because when you finish migrate the cube it has to be recalculated. I have the same problem (a few cubes that I′d like to try in 2005, but I don′t posess the access to the relational database). Is there any way of migrating the cab without the access to the relational db?

Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment