Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Restore databases under SQL 6.5

Hello,

I'm running SQL 6.5 on an old NT4 server. I built a new W2K server with SQL 6.5.

When I tried to restore a database to the new server I got the following error: "The database you are attempting to LOAD was DUMPed under a different sort order ID (52) than the one currently running on this server (32), and at least one of them is a non-binary sort order."
Since SQL 6.5 is no longer supported by Microsoft, I have a hard time finding information related to that error. Can someone help me and tell me what's wrong?

Regards,
Toan.The default sort order for MS-SQL 6.5 was 52. My guess is that you specified a different sort order, and that you can't restore the database unless you reinstall SQL 6.5 with the default sort order.

-PatP|||Pat,

Thanks for your help. I installed SQL 6.5 with the default settings. Where do you specify the sort order?|||It has been a LONG time since I've installed MS-SQL 6.5, but the sort order is specified somewhere very early in the installation process.

Have you considered using SQL 7.0 instead, and restoring the dump into a database there? It seems to me that you can restore a 6.5 dump onto a 7.0 server, and that they aren't nearly as finicky about sort orders.

-PatP|||You were right, the sort order ID has to be selected during the installation. Now I have to figure out which sort order was used on the old box.

Thanks Pat for your help.

Toan.|||52 is the default value, if that helps any.

-PatPsql

No comments:

Post a Comment