Friday, March 30, 2012

Restore db to another server

I'm in the process of migrating db:s from SQL 2000 (SP2) on Windows 2000
(SP4) to SQL 2000 (SP4) on Windows Server 2003 (SP1).
I'm restoring db from tape w. BackupExec 9.0. The first time I did a restore
it was cancelled after 10% write; error 34113 on BackupExec server, and
repeated error 57859 on destination SQL server.
When rerun job, no data is written and job cancels with same error in
BackupExec server, and new error in destination SQL server: 57859 --
"Exclusive access couldn not be obtained because the database is in use." (It
seems to me it's not in use, nobody uses this server yet.)
Strange thing is, I can restore another (test) database from same tape
without any problems.
Happy to get any hints or guidelines, I'm kinda stuck.I deleted the restored database on new SQL server an reran the restore job,
and everything worked OK -- and so I will never know what went wrong the
first time, but will nevertheless be able to spend the weekend with family
instead of SQL.
Thanks for taking time, if you took any.
"JSL" wrote:
> I'm in the process of migrating db:s from SQL 2000 (SP2) on Windows 2000
> (SP4) to SQL 2000 (SP4) on Windows Server 2003 (SP1).
> I'm restoring db from tape w. BackupExec 9.0. The first time I did a restore
> it was cancelled after 10% write; error 34113 on BackupExec server, and
> repeated error 57859 on destination SQL server.
> When rerun job, no data is written and job cancels with same error in
> BackupExec server, and new error in destination SQL server: 57859 --
> "Exclusive access couldn not be obtained because the database is in use." (It
> seems to me it's not in use, nobody uses this server yet.)
> Strange thing is, I can restore another (test) database from same tape
> without any problems.
> Happy to get any hints or guidelines, I'm kinda stuck.|||Next time, use sp_who to see who is using the database.
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"JSL" <JSL@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:90762CE8-604D-4BD5-A1DE-9645952022C9@.microsoft.com...
>I deleted the restored database on new SQL server an reran the restore job,
> and everything worked OK -- and so I will never know what went wrong the
> first time, but will nevertheless be able to spend the weekend with family
> instead of SQL.
> Thanks for taking time, if you took any.
> "JSL" wrote:
>> I'm in the process of migrating db:s from SQL 2000 (SP2) on Windows 2000
>> (SP4) to SQL 2000 (SP4) on Windows Server 2003 (SP1).
>> I'm restoring db from tape w. BackupExec 9.0. The first time I did a restore
>> it was cancelled after 10% write; error 34113 on BackupExec server, and
>> repeated error 57859 on destination SQL server.
>> When rerun job, no data is written and job cancels with same error in
>> BackupExec server, and new error in destination SQL server: 57859 --
>> "Exclusive access couldn not be obtained because the database is in use." (It
>> seems to me it's not in use, nobody uses this server yet.)
>> Strange thing is, I can restore another (test) database from same tape
>> without any problems.
>> Happy to get any hints or guidelines, I'm kinda stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment